This will be a tough sell as most people have never handled a pistol, don't understand the safety features, and have been brainwashed by the media and politicians for decades - creating a society that has an irrational fear of firearms. Jeff Cooper coined the term 'Hoplophobia' back in 1962, describing it as a "mental disturbance characterised by irrational aversion to weapons".
I want you to put aside your irrational fear of firearms for a moment while I present you with some facts:
- It is not possible to ban guns from a society - read my blog here to learn why.....
- Violent crime in Australia is up and comparable in many ways to the United States. The media and our politicians love to hide this fact from you. In Australia, a woman is three times more likely to be raped than in America.
- You might say you don't want an American gun culture. I don't either and I'm not proposing that. I don't support the idea of self-regulation and the private sale of firearms and ammunition to anybody and everybody. Background checks, licensing and training are essential for anyone who wishes to use a firearm in Australia. Learn the facts here why we are nothing like America when it comes to gun culture.
- Because Americans have guns they are more likely to shoot each other. You will often see statistics of gun deaths in America compared with other countries claiming this is the case. What they fail to mention is that most of those deaths are attributed to suicide and because firearms are so readily available, they are the tool of choice for suicide in the US. Suicide is just as concerning in Australia, it's just that we choose instead to jump at the gap or gas ourselves in the garage. The population of America is 14 times greater than that of Australia, so a per capita comparison is more like 715 America / 60 Australia deaths by firearms. I have included a graph below that shows how much more likely you are to die by other means in the US.
- In the last two decades, the UK has introduced the most restrictive gun laws in the developed world, banning many types of firearms. During this time crime has skyrocketed and criminals are the only ones with guns. Read more here...
Police cannot be everywhere to protect everyone. There is about one police officer per 500 citizens and each officer works 40 hours during a 24/7, 168 hour week, reducing the ratio to 1:2100. Then you need to factor in how much time they actually spend on the beat, rather than doing paperwork, time in court etc.
Policing is not a proactive business with respect to violent crime. It's impossible to tell when and where a rapist might attack and potentially give you a nasty disease. There's not much you can do about that disease after the fact either. You can't sue AIDS or Hepatitis C in a court of law.
Now I'm not suggesting for a moment that you or your daughter carry a concealed weapon to protect yourselves, but what I am proposing is that those good citizens who are trained and licensed to use pistols should be legally allowed to carry in public in their own personal time.
Why can't an off-duty police officer choose to carry a pistol when he is doing his grocery shopping, or an armed security guard or sporting pistol shooter for that matter? Approximately 0.5% of Australians are trained and licensed to use pistols. How brazen would a criminal be knowing that 1 in 200 citizens would be only too happy to step in and assist another good citizen like yourself in distress?
Here are some figures from the US to show that firearms aren't responsible for as many deaths as the media would like you to believe.
Firearms safety training is standard the world over. In Australia, comprehensive training, testing and vetting is mandatory for anyone seeking a handgun licence for target shooting.
Police, armed security guards and military personnel all under-go the same background checks and training. Learn more about the process here...
Florida was one of the first states in the US to introduce conceal carry weapon permits. Just look at how the murder rate has dropped since the introduction.
You have a choice. You can continue to believe the media, political spin, lies and fear-mongering, or you can choose to believe that authorities recognise they cannot control criminals, so they control the law abiding. Lobby your government to allow licensed people to carry and remind them Article 3 of the United Nations’ Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that "everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person".
Research this topic further here...
Comments also welcome on FACEBOOK..